Summer Fig and Watermelon Salad with Feta and Claimstake Brewing Company’s Scotty’s Blonde Ale
05/31/2017 04:36PM ● Published by Style
SUMMER FIG AND WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA
Balsamic glaze is a syrup of concentrated, cooked down, sweetened balsamic vinegar; it adds a sweet and tangy element to this refreshing salad. Look for it near the vinegar in the grocery store. You can also make your own: Pour balsamic vinegar into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until it’s syrupy.
- 1/2 small watermelon, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup thinly, vertically sliced red onion
- 2 large fresh Calimyrna or other green-skinned figs, stemmed
- 2 large fresh Brown Turkey, Black Mission or Striped Tiger figs, stemmed
- 1 oz. crumbled feta cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint sprigs
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. balsamic glaze
- 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Arrange the watermelon on a serving platter; top evenly with the onion.
2. Halve the figs lengthwise; arrange them on the platter and sprinkle with the cheese.
3. Combine the oil, juice and honey, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over the salad; sprinkle with the mint and basil. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salad; sprinkle evenly with the salt and black pepper.
CLAIMSTAKE BREWING COMPANY’S SCOTTY’S BLONDE ALE
ABV: 4.5% IBU: 15
Claimstake Brewing in Rancho Cordova is a newer kid on the brewery block (they celebrated their one-year anniversary in March) that’s making a big splash on the Sacramento beer scene. Though mostly known for their IPAs, the 10-barrell, small-batch brewhouse features an impressive array of other, constantly rotating styles as well—from a sour mash ale (Manus to Society) made with cherry and plum, to a chocolate oatmeal stout (Mikey Likes It). The refreshing, easy-to-drink Scotty’s Blonde Ale features notes of fruit and honey with a clean, slightly bitter finish, and is an ideal summertime sipper. Its lower alcohol content and fruity aroma make it a perfect pairing for this month’s Fig and Watermelon Salad.
—Eden Tuscano, 36 Handles Restaurant & Pub
Wine Steals // Sip On This
These approachable, ready-to-travel anywhere cans are made by Union Wine Co. in Oregon, a winery known for producing high-quality crafted vinos that are affordable and innovative. For more info, visit unionwinecompany.com.
Underwood Pinot Gris
OVERALL RATING: 4
Tasting Notes: Initial notes of peach and pear with mild floral accents; tangy, slightly sweet and citrus-like; well-balanced with a crisp finish
Price: $5.99 (375 ml.)
Purchase: Total Wine and More
Underwood Pinot Noir
OVERALL RATING: 3
Tasting Notes: Deep red color with a peppery, dark fruit aroma and hints of cranberry, cherries and chocolate; starts off sweet but finishes bold
Price: $4.99 (375 ml.)
Purchase: Trader Joe’s
Overall Rating is the average score (out of 5) compiled by Style staff tasters. Ratings should be taken with a grain of salt, as we are by no means “experts”—just hard-working employees who enjoy imbibing.