Rocklin Under Stage 2 Water Warning
04/27/2015 10:38AM ● Published by Steven Jack
Even tough Rocklin residents surpassed the state's 2014 goal of conserving 20 percent more water by saving 30 percent, cutting back on usage is more important than ever.
The area normally counts on precipitation in the winter months to help supply water for hot and dry summers, but this winter was one of the driest on record. Rocklin is currently under a Stage 2 Water Warning, which includes several residential restrictions. Those restrictions are as follows:
Outdoor Water Use:
- Limit landscape watering to a maximum of 2 days per week during the months of April, May, June, July, August, September, October and November.
- Landscape should not be watered during the months of December, January, February, and March.
- Water only between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m.
- Installation of new landscaping for existing homes shall be limited to low water use trees, shrubs, and groundcover.
- The installation of new turf or hydro seed for existing homes shall be prohibited unless watered using drip or microspray systems.
- Decorative water features, such as fountains shall be drained and kept dry.
- Reduce irrigation cycles to limit runoff.
- Repair irrigation leaks promptly.
- Apply 2 to 3 inches of mulch around trees and plants to reduce evaporation.
- Use a bucket and hose with a shutoff nozzle for vehicle or equipment washing or take them to a commercial establishment that uses recycled water.
- Cover pools to prevent evaporation.
- Use a rake or broom instead of a hose to clean hard surfaces.
- Adhere to landscaping specifications outlined in the State’s Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance for any new landscaping.
Indoor Water Use:
- Limit showers to 5 minutes or less.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Convert to high-efficiency appliances such as toilets, showers and faucets, dishwashers and clothes washers.
- Check plumbing and appliances for leaks and fix them within 48 hours.
- Turn off the faucet when brushing teeth, washing dishes by hand or when shaving.