Cocktails to Cheers the New Year
● By Wendy Sipple
Wine Cocktails: 50 Stylish Sippers That Show Off Your Reds, Whites and Roses by A.J. Rathbun (Harvard Common Press, 2009, $12.95).
FREMONT FRUIT BOWL
Makes 10 servings
- 3 fresh peaches, pitted and cut into wedges
- 3 fresh apricots, pitted and cut into wedges
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 5 ounces apricot liqueur
- 5 ounces maraschino liqueur
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) chilled Riesling
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) chilled brut Champagne or sparkling white wine
- Ice (in block form if possible, or use cracked ice)
Place peaches, apricots and strawberries in large punch bowl. Using a wooden spoon, stir them together, being just a little brisk, as you want them to be well mixed.
Add block of ice to the bowl, or, if using cracked ice, fill bowl almost halfway.
Add apricot and maraschino liqueurs. Stir well with your wooden spoon.
Add Riesling and sparkling wine, concurrently (this makes them feel an equal part of the festivities). Stir well, again. Serve in punch cups, white wine glasses or sculpted goblets.
- 1 1/2 parts CORZO® Reposado
- 3/4 part fresh lime juice
- 1 part simple syrup
- 3 fresh strawberries quartered
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 part balsamic vinegar (optional but highly recommended)
Muddle all ingredients. Shake with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a strawberry slice. Makes one cocktail.