02/28/2009 04:00PM ● Published by Super Admin
“Sierra Moms is a member-led, nonprofit organization for mothers serving the greater Folsom and El Dorado Hills areas,” says Ashley Molloy, Director of Public Relations. “Through nurturing environments, we help women connect with one another to find support in their roles as mothers.”
The organization first formed in 1993, led by Margo Fowkes, who, after falling short in her search to find and join a local support group for mothers, identified need from absence and, with assistance from the National Moms’ Club, started the Folsom Mom’s Club. After splitting from National Mom’s in order to hold evening and weekend activities, the group reformed as Sierra Moms, and today fulfills its mission through a variety of means, including:
- Time-out for Moms: Activities for moms such as book clubs, movies, scrapbooking, networking, etc.
- Babysitting Co-op: A non-paying childcare exchange service.
- Playgroups: Scheduled weekly for children at all stages of development.
- Let’s Explore: Monthly outings for children.
- Monthly Membership Meetings: A discussion of the latest happenings and parental topics as addressed by special guest speakers.
- Online forums: An online idea and advice exchange.
- The Crier: A monthly newsletter with parenting articles, events and activities.
- Family activities: Sponsored parties for members and their families.
- Special Needs Kids & Moms: An accepting support group for mothers with special needs children.
Considering that women are charged with the most important task that life demands – helping to raise the next generation – they believe that it is fundamentally important that mothers be given opportunities to constructively connect with one another. “As a mom I know how important it is to be around other moms,” Molloy says. “Socializing with other moms allows us to hear that others are dealing with similar situations. It is also a wonderful way to recharge and get new ideas for facing some of the challenges of parenting.”
To help raise funds in support of the organization and its programs, Sierra Moms will host its Eighth Annual Bunko Bash on March 19, from 6-9 p.m., at the Folsom Community Center. Tickets to the event, which will be emceed by Jennifer Steele of “Mix 96” – 96.1 FM, are $20 per person ($25 at the door) and will include a buffet dinner and desserts (beverages available for purchase), bunko play, a silent auction, grand prize raffle, chance raffles and more. Twenty percent of donations will benefit local charities.
Women during any stage of motherhood are welcome to join Sierra Moms. Annual membership fees are $40. To learn more about the organization, or to purchase tickets for Bunko Bash, visit sierramoms.org or call 916-978-5995.